- Conserve water to reduce the amount of wastewater that must be treated. For example, washing clothes over several days will put less stress on your system
- Repair any leaking taps or toilets. To detect toilet leaks, put some food colouring in the cistern and see if the dye ends up in the bowl (without flushing)
- Divert downpipes and other surface water away from your septic tank/soakpit. Excessive water keeps the soil from adequately cleansing the wastewater
- Have your septic tank inspected yearly and pumped regularly by a licensed septic tank contractor. See pump chart for suggested pumping frequencies.
- Keep your septic tank cover accessible at all times
- Call a licensed septic tank contractor if you have problems
- Keep a record of repairs, pumpings, inspection and other maintenance activities